Work type: Part-time (approx. 20 hours per week)
Pay rate: $20-25 / hour
Location: Lehigh University, Bethlehem
Lehigh University Art Galleries seeks a Collections Assistant to provide support to the Collections and Exhibitions team with primary duties related to the documentation and care of a large collection. This position ensures continuity of collections management and facilitates the maintenance of the highest standards in the stewardship of the museum’s collections. This individual will be part of a team responsible for the care, tracking, documentation, and management of the University’s continuously growing permanent art collection. The Lehigh community takes seriously our commitment to antiracism and The Principles of our Equitable Community.
- Works with Registrar/Collections Manager to catalog and update physical files and the collection management system with the University’s collection of over 19,000 objects.
- Conducts condition reporting on objects entering and leaving the Art Galleries.
- Uses the museum’s collections database to track and record object locations.
- Acts as art handler when needed with broad understanding of how to handle a variety of objects.
- Assists with object photography and flatbed scanning for digital files and collection database.
- Helps research and prepare documents for acquisitions.
- Performs other collections related duties as required.
- Participates in Collections and Exhibitions team and museum-wide meetings, training sessions, and projects as required.
- Adheres to museum policies supporting management decisions in a positive, professional manner, and works collaboratively with all staff.
- Maintains confidentiality within and outside the museum.
- Represents the museum with a high level of integrity and professionalism.
The duties of this position may allow the employee to work partially remote as deemed appropriate by the supervisor.
This position works with minors.
Will often be required to climb or balance, lift up to 25 pounds, pull or push, see, stand, talk, use hands to touch handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, hear, sit, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and walk
- B.A. degree required in Museum Studies, Collections Management, Art History, or related fields; or equivalent experience in collection management
- At least 1 year experience working in a museum collections’s department with similar duties or comparable archival work
- Knowledge of museum standards and best practices in the care and safe handling of 2-D and 3-D objects
- Ability to assess priorities, work well under pressure; manage time efficiently, analyze and solve problems independently and if necessary, collaboratively
- Basic computer skills and experience using museum and/or collections databases
- Professional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills with staff members, lenders, and other related parties
- Ability to be flexible and embrace changes within this position due to departmental priorities and/or for cross-training purposes
- Familiarity with digital cameras, object photography, scanners, and image editing software such as Photoshop, Lightroom, and/or SilverFast
- Familiarity with Past Perfect and/or TMS collections management system
- 2+ years of related experience
Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, national criminal background checks, motor vehicle checks, PATCH, FBI fingerprinting, Child Abuse Clearance and credit history based upon the requirements of the position
Email Rachel Fugate (firstname.lastname@example.org), Registrar and Collections Manager, and Mark Wonsidler (email@example.com), Curator of Exhibitions and Collections with the following documents attached:
- Resume / CV
- Cover Letter
Please have all application materials submitted by 17 March, 2023. Submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Because of new information about the characteristics of the Omicron COVID-19 variants, all Lehigh faculty and staff will be required to be fully vaccinated and have received a booster shot, unless they receive an approved medical or religious exemption from the requirement.
Categories: Job Postings