The Collections Registrar is responsible for the preservation and care of all Tang collection objects, and serves as a key staff member supporting the academic use of the collection in teaching. The position works directly with faculty and students to provide access to the Tang collection and storage areas for teaching and research purposes.
Additionally, the Collections Registrar spearheads efforts to establish complete records of all objects: digitization, establishing provenance, conducting research and creating electronic records in the museum collection database.
The Collections Registrar hires and manages Tang student interns, providing teaching and mentoring in the nature of museum work, the nature of collections research, and the practice of other museum activities that support the Tang’s teaching mission at the College. This position also serves as acting registrar in absence of the Senior Registrar.
The Collections Registrar is liaison for the museum to Advancement Office with regard to gifts of art to the Tang and is responsible for associated paperwork. The Collections Registrar also manages the art handler crew in all aspects of moving and maintaining collections.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, including but not limited to studio art, art history, or museum studies
- 1 – 3 years of museum experience in registration work, art handling, and data entry, plus relevant internships and work-study
- Must have practical knowledge of object/art handling and storage techniques.
- Knowledge of art history and knowledge and appreciation for contemporary art.
- Ability to work both independently and also cooperatively with others in a fast-paced, team environment.
- Ability to speak in front of groups and work with students, faculty, museum colleagues and community members.
- Ability to assist faculty in collection-based assignments and the development of curricula related to the Tang collection.
- Strong verbal and editing skills, detail-oriented, and highly organized.
- Working knowledge of museum digitization processes and storage/retrieval of data key.
Special Instructions to Applicant
To be considered for this position, please fill out an online application and attach the following documents: cover letter, resume and list of three references to include name, title, company, email address and telephone number of three professional references.
All documents must be attached through the application system. If you encounter difficulty, please contact Human Resources at: email@example.com or 518 580.5802
Categories: Job Postings