The Davison Art Center holds Wesleyan University’s collection of over 25,000 artworks, consisting primarily of prints and photographs. It is among the most outstanding print collections at any U.S. university, representing artistic achievements from the fifteenth through the twenty-first centuries. The breadth of the collection is equaled by its quality; exceptionally fine impressions by Rembrandt van Rijn and Francisco de Goya, rare early engravings, and important contemporary artwork by artists including Glenn Ligon and Jasper Johns are only a few highlights.
Reporting to the DAC Curator, the Registrar and Collections Manager supports the registration, collection management, exhibition, and pedagogical activity at the Davison Art Center.
The first major project for the Registrar and Collections Manager will be to work with the DAC Curator and Gallery Supervisor to oversee the move of the collection and set up operations in a new facility.
The Registrar and Collections Manager will also be an important voice in planning a new gallery for the Davison Art Center.
In addition to helping guide the transformational projects noted above, primary responsibilities include:
COLLECTIONS MANAGEMENT AND REGISTRATION
- Ensure the integrity and continuity of DACcollection information.
- Cataloging and processing of new acquisitions.
- Administer all object transitions, including loans
- Administer and maintain the DAC’s collection management system (EmbARK) and all DAConline media.
- Maintain physical object files for the permanent collection, exhibition archives, and incoming and outgoing loans.
- Generate and maintain exhibition-related documentation.
- Train security and student staff on exhibition needs.
- Assist with proofing and production of exhibition materials.
- Take documentary reference photographs of DAC
- Prepare department budget and monitor expenses.
- Train and supervise DACinterns and student employees.
- Fulfill collections image requests, outgoing image licensing requests, and publication orders.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor of Arts or equivalent degree and at least 3 years of museum experience in art registration or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Experience in art handling
- Expertise with one or more museum collections management systems.
- Expertise in ethical principles and professional practices in museum registration.
- Strong ability to work in collegial and flexible ways in a highly collaborative setting.
- Superior time management and organization skills.
- Ability to lift and carry art storage boxes weighing up to 40 lbs., at times using a stepstool or rolling steps to access high shelves with or without accommodation .
- Demonstrated commitment to work within a diverse environment and interact openly with individuals of different backgrounds.
- A. or higher degree in art history, museum studies, or a related field.
- Experience in moving an art collection.
- Experience with exhibition logistics.
- Experience with current technologies and best practices for digital photography of art collections, and/or with digital asset management.
- Specific knowledge of handling principles for works on paper preferred.
To apply for this position, please visit Wesleyan University’s online application portal: http://careers.wesleyan.edu/postings/6971
Categories: Job Postings