The Fleming Museum of Art located at the University of Vermont is hiring a Curator. The Curator will build community relationships and connections to the Museum’s 25,000+ global collection. In collaboration with community, cultural, and academic advisory groups, the curator will develop exhibitions of collection objects and non-collection exhibitions and will select traveling exhibitions. The Curator will collaborate with artists, scholars, and Museum staff to publish on exhibitions and the collection. With input from advisors, the curator will recommend objects for acquisition, deaccession, and repatriation. The Fleming Museum is committed to becoming a transparent, responsive, and inclusive Museum as outlined on our website in the Fleming Reimagined. The curator will share these ideals and implement them into every facet of their job duties; curating exhibitions, selecting acquisitions, publishing, collaborating with the community, and recommending objects for deaccession and repatriation. To learn more about this position and apply, please visit https://www.uvmjobs.com/postings/51571.
• The Curator develops and organizes a diverse and thoughtful annual exhibition schedule, prioritizing exhibitions that are aligned with and promote the goals and evolution of the Museum’s institutional transformation work. The Museum’s priorities in developing these exhibitions are founded in collaboration with museum staff, artists, community groups, and UVM faculty and student advisory groups. The curator will write and collaborate with others on texts to accompany exhibitions and on exhibition catalogues. The curator will assist the Curator of Education and Public Programs on program planning in conjunction with exhibitions.
• Working with colleagues and advisory groups from campus and community, the Curator employs the Museum’s collection of 25,000+ objects to best realize the goals of the institution including recommendations on the acquisition, deaccession, and repatriation, of artworks in the collection.
• The Curator develops relationships with local community groups and cultural organizations, UVM community, and others to ensure that the Museum’s resources are used in the most meaningful and relevant ways.
• The Curator researches and collaborates with Museum staff, UVM faculty and outside scholars to publish on collection objects and create interpretive publications, and multi-media installations that appeal and are accessible to a broad and diverse range of audiences.
• The Curator assists the Museum Director and the Business Manager in the development of fiscal year budgets for acquisitions, special exhibitions, publications, collection installations and other related activities.
Master’s degree in art history or related field with two to four years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience required. Effective written and verbal communication skills. The University is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the institution. Applicants are required to include in their cover letter information about how they will further this goal.
We encourage you to apply by 04/30/2022, posted until filled.
Categories: Job Postings