Benefitted Full Time, Exempt Not Telework Eligible
Nora Eccles Harrison Museum of Art (NEHMA) seeks a Curator of Exhibitions specializing in modern and contemporary American Art preferably with an emphasis on art and artists of the western United States. The Curator (Curator III) will work under NEHMA’s Executive Director in a team-based environment to curate ambitious exhibition projects and advance NEHMA’s national reputation as a leading academic museum, with a commitment to the study of art within our campus, K-12 schools, and local communities. This position requires the study, interpretation, scholarship, and publication of NEHMA’s collection in an academic environment that is collaborative and integrates with disciplines across campus.
- Conceptualize and plan exhibitions and related programs utilizing the museum’s collection, loans, database, files, and staff as resources.
- Develop curatorial projects that expand upon areas of focus represented in the collection.
- Oversee the exhibition schedule and planning, working closely with all staff to ensure resources can accommodate the demands of the schedule.
- Work with the Executive Director/Chief Curator and curatorial team to develop a vision for the curatorial direction of the museum.
- Facilitate and coordinate traveling exhibitions.
- Collaborate across the university campus to develop innovative curatorial concepts that engage students and faculty as an integral part of their education.
- Participate in dialogues and be involved in museums, academic art museums, and curatorial organizations.
- Participate and occasionally speak at events related to exhibitions.
- Coordinate exhibition design, planning, and installation as needed including hands-on involvement.
- Work with museum educators on educational initiatives for various museum audiences, which may include developing and leading public curatorial and gallery talks, meeting with classes, or developing didactics and other written materials for specific audiences.
- Take the lead on exhibition-related grant writing, working closely with the museum’s grant writer.
- Foster and maintain good working relationships with artists, museum colleagues, the academic community, collectors, University administration, and patrons.
- The position requires a track record of innovative curatorial projects focused on American art from the 20th and 21st centuries and scholarly research with publications or essays.
- Master’s Degree in Art History, Curatorial Studies, Museum Studies, or relevant discipline
- Excellent writing skills and public speaking ability
- Experience with exhibition planning, art handling, and installation
- Experience working in an academic environment
- PhD in Art History, Curatorial Studies, Museum Studies, or relevant discipline
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, community outreach, and public engagement
- Excellent interpersonal, public speaking, and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to supervise as well as to work well with others
- Ability to interface effectively and diplomatically with internal and external constituents
- Ability to move projects forward, working both independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrated commitment to research, educational collaborations, and scholarly content
Along with the online application, please attach:
- Resume/CV to be uploaded at the beginning of your application in the Candidate Profile under “Resume/CV”
- Writing sample of curatorial essay and/or didactics to be uploaded at the beginning of your application in the Candidate Profile under “Documents 1-10”
- Cover Letter to be typed/pasted at the end of your application
**Document size may not exceed 10 MB.**
Minimum $60,000; Commensurate with experience, plus excellent benefits
Employees work indoors and are protected from weather and/or contaminants, but not, necessarily, occasional temperature changes. The employee is regularly required to sit and often uses repetitive hand motions.
The Nora Eccles Harrison Museum of Art (NEHMA) at Utah State University provides exhibitions and programs that deeply enrich people’s lives, improve their sense of well-being, help them learn, and encourage respect through creativity visual art. NEHMA is an accredited art museum through the American Alliance of Museums and is also a Certified Utah Museum. It has an exceptional collection of modern and contemporary American Art with an emphasis on art from the western United States and stewards 5,500 objects. NEHMA always offers some collection-based exhibitions in its galleries alongside complementary exhibitions sourced from outside of the museum’s collection. NEHMA’s Object Study Center houses over one-hundred glass-topped drawers and a number of display niches, which allow staff to pull objects for classes and exhibit more work from the collection. Additionally, NEHMA houses a library with books related to the collection and computer access to our Collection Database so that students and community members can have access to additional support for research. Exhibitions always have interpretative labels in English and Spanish and can be accessed virtually the website. NEHMA continues to grow its collection through gifts and purchases, and regularly conserves artworks using professional conservators.
NEHMA’s core mission centers on learning and accessibility. This mission is achieved by organizing temporary exhibitions, public events, and extensive humanities-based programming—all free of charge—to provide educational opportunities for USU students and scholars, K-12 groups, and the community at large. The Museum continues to expand its programming to promote its collection to a wider range of audiences and to increase community engagement. The NEHMA Mobile Art Truck travels statewide to schools and other venues, providing an opportunity for local and out-of-area constituents of all ages to engage in activities that connect art with other disciplines.
NEHMA is building a new Art Research & Education facility, located adjacent to the current museum, that will expand opportunities for engagement with art in ways that are both unique and complementary to the museum’s current offerings while also providing accessible, visible collection storage for current and future growth. This facility will be a place where scholars, USU students, K-12 classes and the community can be welcomed to interface with artworks and collections in a more intimate, focused and accessible learning environment. Construction is currently underway.
Founded in 1888, Utah State University is Utah’s premier land-grant and space-grant university, with a strong commitment to excellence, access, and inclusion. USU serves approximately 27,500 students throughout the state at three residential campuses, eight statewide campuses, and 23 education centers. USU Online has served students from all 50 states and 55 countries for over 25 years, and USU Extension provides outreach and service to all counties in Utah.
As a land-grant university, USU engages communities and empowers people to lead successful lives of involvement, innovation, and impact. As an R1 research institution, USU provides a high-quality undergraduate and graduate education at an affordable price. Washington Monthly has consistently ranked USU in the top 10 among public universities for contribution to social mobility, research, and public service.
Utah State is committed to cultivating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community where different perspectives, values, cultures, and identities are acknowledged, welcomed, and valued. We seek to recruit, hire, and retain people from all walks of life who will champion excellence in education, research, discovery, outreach, and service. We believe that promoting a strong sense of community and belonging empowers and engages all members of USU to thrive and be successful. Learn more about USU.
The university provides a Dual Career Assistance Program to support careers for partners who are also seeking employment. Additionally, USU is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities. To request a reasonable accommodation for a disability, contact the university’s ADA Coordinator in the Office of Human Resources at (435) 797-0122 or email@example.com.
About the Region
U.S. News and World Report ranked Utah first for its strong economy, fiscal stability, education, and health care. Outstanding outdoor recreational opportunities abound throughout the state, including five national parks, 43 state parks and recreation areas, and 15 alpine ski resorts. The home of USU’s main campus, Logan, is a city of 54,000-plus people in a picturesque mountain valley 80 miles north of Salt Lake City. The Logan metro area claimed the top spot in the Milken Institute’s 2022 ranking for best-performing small cities in the nation.
Notice of Non-discrimination
In its programs and activities, including in admissions and employment, Utah State University does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state, or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations and/or USU’s non-discrimination policies:
Executive Director of the Office of Equity Matthew Pinner, firstname.lastname@example.org, Distance Education Rm. 401, 435-797-1266
Title IX Coordinator Cody Carmichael, email@example.com, Distance Education Rm. 404, 435-797-1266
Mailing address: 5100 Old Main Hill, Logan, UT 84322
For further information regarding non-discrimination, please visit https://equity.usu.edu/, or contact:
U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 800-421-3481, OCR@ed.gov *updated 9/2023 Job Application Link: https://careers-usu.icims.com/jobs/7289/curator-of-exhibitions/job?mobile=false&width=1290&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-420&jun1offset=-360
Categories: Job Postings