Yale University, conveniently located between Boston and New York, offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Located in the heart of historic downtown New Haven with more than 100 local boutiques, national retailers, cafés, casual eateries, award-winning restaurants, and world-renowned theaters, galleries, and museums.
General Purpose: The Yale Center for British Art seeks a Curator of Paintings and Sculpture with an exceptional record of exhibitions, publications, and acquisitions to oversee the museum’s Department of Paintings and Sculpture. International in scope, the Center’s collection of paintings and sculpture ranges from the Tudor period to the present day and is especially strong in the period 1750 – 1850. The Center’s holdings of works by George Stubbs, J. M. W. Turner, and John Constable are among the most important in the world.
Required Education and Experience: Master’s Degree in Art History and five years of curatorial experience or an equivalent education and experience.
- In-depth knowledge and evidence of scholarship in the history of British art. General knowledge of the history of art and museum practices.
- Demonstrate independence and willingness and ability to be self-directed. Ability to take initiative, anticipate actions needed, and to exercise discretion and independent judgment.
- Proven record of curatorial and scholarly achievement, including the development of exhibitions, publications, and acquisitions.
- Excellent writing skills: ability to write in an accessible language for a variety of audiences. Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Demonstrate ability as an effective collaborator both within the department, across the Center, in the larger university community and in the wider field of art museums.
- Ability and interest to work collaboratively with internal and external curators, conservators, artists, and educators. Demonstrate ability to conduct original research, to write clearly, and to communicate effectively to diverse audiences.
- Preferred Education and Experience: PhD in Art History preferred.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at http://bit.ly/YaleCareers-65608BR. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country’s great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.
Categories: Job Postings