Columbia College Chicago is an acclaimed undergraduate and graduate institution that provides a comprehensive education in the arts, communications and public relations. We constantly aim to reach our full potential as an educational innovator, incubator of new creative practice and generator of real-world success for young creatives. We are located in the heart of Chicago, across the street from historic Grant Park, and housed in some of the most iconic buildings in the South Loop.
Columbia College Chicago a private urban institution of over 6,000 undergraduate and graduate students, four-year College offering a distinctive curriculum that blends liberal arts, creative and media arts and business is currently searching for a Curatorial Fellow for Diversity in the Arts.
The Museum of Contemporary Photography at Columbia College Chicago (MoCP) offers one paid 24-month Curatorial Fellowship for Diversity in the Arts, which begins in September 2020. This position will help the MoCP expand and diversify its holdings by researching and planning for the collection and exhibitions; helping to develop associated publications, and supporting the curricular use of the museum’s collection in areas that are currently underrepresented on the museum staff, such as African, Asian, Latin American, Islamic, and Native American art.
The Curatorial Fellowship provides recent graduates in the field with important professional experience.
This is a grant funded position. The position is 25 hours per week.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Diversify the museum’s programs and holdings by researching and planning for the collection and exhibitions.
- Assist with associated publications including books, texts for exhibitions and catalogue entries for collection.
- Support the curricular use of the museum’s collection to reflect the economic, racial, cultural, and educational diversity of contemporary society.
- Conduct print viewings and tours as needed for students and the general public.
- Develop an exhibition of contemporary photography for presentation in year two of fellowship. Research, correspond with artists, write texts, and plan all aspects of the exhibition in collaboration with museum staff.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Art History or related field with emphasis on Photography, Modern or Contemporary Art required.
- Previous museum experience a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal skills are required.
- Strong knowledge of (or familiarity with) two or more areas in African, Asian, Latin American, Islamic or Native American Art.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills including the ability to manage multiple assignments concurrently.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of the employee and is subject to change based on the needs of the college or department.
At Columbia, we offer a rewarding work environment for our faculty and staff. We take pride in offering competitive benefits with affordable health, dental and vision coverage; flexible spending accounts; commuter benefit program, life and accidental, death & dismemberment coverage; paid and unpaid leave options; work/life benefits; educational assistance programs; and retirement and financial planning benefits.
We invite you to join our talented faculty and staff and become part of our collective aspiration to ensure Columbia prepares students for success in their creative fields through innovation, engagement and real-world experiences.
Position subject to a background screening.
This is a union position.
This position is overtime eligible.
Qualified candidates of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Columbia College Chicago is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all local, state, and federal laws and regulations concerning civil rights. The college does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law.
: United States-Illinois-Chicago
: Day Job
: Individual Contributor
: Jun 11, 2020, 9:16:36 AM
Categories: Job Postings