School/Unit: Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Sub-Unit: Art, Film, and Visual Studies
Department: Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts, reports to Exhibitions Manager / Registrar
Schedule: Saturday–Sunday, 11:30 am–5:30 pm, and occasional weekday gallery or event coverage.
Salary: $19 per hour with a maximum of 14 hours per week
The Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts (CCVA) at Harvard University seeks a Gallery Attendant (Weekends). This position is responsible for welcoming weekend visitors to the CCVA gallery, providing information about the exhibitions and artists, guidance in navigating the gallery and building, and ensuring the safety of the artwork on view. This position will assist with CCVA bookshop sales, support programs and events, and provide occasional coverage for the weekday Gallery and Bookshop Attendant. Reporting to the Exhibitions Manager / Registrar, the Gallery Attendant (Weekends) is an essential part of the CCVA team, who will work closely with the CCVA staff, and be integrated into the workings of a dynamic contemporary art institution.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Welcomes visitors into the public exhibition spaces and provides information about the exhibitions and artists, programming, CCVA publications, and the building.
- Opens and closes the gallery spaces and oversees basic operational duties for the gallery.
- Maintains oversight of the gallery and visiting public, monitors interactions to ensure the safety and security of the artwork and exhibition materials, and providing assistance to visitors when needed.
- Responsible for providing operational support for the bookshop including online order fulfillment, handling cash transactions for any in-person sales, and completing daily reports.
- Assists with programs and events as needed and provides occasional coverage for the weekday Gallery and Bookshop Attendant.
- Stays informed about CCVA’s programs, mission, and the department of Art, Film, and Visual Studies, and sharing this information with CCVA visitors.
- Additional administrative duties relating to CCVA as assigned.
- This position requires a welcoming demeanor and someone who enjoy working with the public.
- The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills, be able to uphold a professional attitude at all times, must be extremely responsible, and able to follow procedures.
- Candidates should be knowledgeable and enthusiastic about contemporary art.
- Ability to work independently and in a collaborative environment.
- 1+ year related experience. Education beyond high school may count towards experience.
- Must be able to work Saturday–Sunday, 11:30 am–5:30 pm, and occasional weekday hours.
- Experience working in a gallery, museum, or cultural institutions is a plus.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, bend, squat, stoop, climb ladders, walk up and down stairs, and lift up to 30 pounds.
About the Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts
Free and open to the public, Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts is the center for contemporary art and artists at Harvard University. Housed within Le Corbusier’s only building in North America, the Carpenter Center was built in 1963 to accommodate the university’s art and film studios alongside a dynamic exhibition program. Through exhibitions, public events, new commissions, publications, and residencies, the Carpenter Center is dedicated to artist-centered programing and building a vibrant community around contemporary art. This community is defined by an ethos of experimentation, diverse perspectives, and making connections across disciplines and fields. The Center’s projects are enriched by the educational mission of a department of art, film, and visual studies, and the cultural resources of a large research university.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply, please email your resume cover letter to Francesca Williams, Exhibitions Manager / Registrar at email@example.com.
Categories: Job Postings