Position Location: Southeastern, WI
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside invites applications for the position of Gallery Director.
This position will spearhead fine arts programming in the galleries that attracts community members and UW-Parkside students, faculty, and staff and that enriches the cultural experience in our University and region. The position will serve as the primary liaison with regional arts organizations and identify and generate partnerships between art and diverse disciplines. The gallery director is responsible for helping cultivate and maintain a vibrant, inclusive, and respected reputation for UW-Parkside programs within the arts and beyond. This position is part-time and expected to work 27 hours a week.
– MA, MFA, or PhD. in related field
– Broad working knowledge of contemporary art
– At least one year of experience working in the field as either an exhibiting artiest, curator, or other arts professional
– Well developed interpersonal and networking abilities
– Expertise in gallery organization, planning and promotion
– Successful grant writing and fund-raising experience
– Experience working with students at the college level
– Experience developing art programming for educational purposes
– Experience working collaboratively within an academic environment
– Experience in serving as a liaison with regional arts organizations and identifying and generating partnerships between art and diverse disciplines
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
|90% Gallery Director:
– Plan exhibition cycles and create schedules for the galleries
– Cultivate partnerships with community members and organizations within the region
– Create and coordinate cross disciplinary events within CAH and the University
– Coordinate artist involvement in gallery activities
– Create publicity materials and gallery catalogs
– Manage the gallery budget
– Hire, coordinate, and supervise student interns interested in arts management and museums studies and non-profit businesses
– Maintain loan and insurance agreements
– Maintain environmental and safety standards for all exhibitions, including those requiring special accommodations
10% Academic Curator:
– Assist all Art Department Senior Studio students with the arrangement of their capstone exhibitions
– In collaboration with the gallery assistant; assist with the ACE (art club) juried exhibition as well as the local K-12 teachers’/students’ exhibition
– Assist the Art Department with their Foundation Gallery programming
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
– Broad working knowledge of contemporary art
– Experience working in the field as an exhibiting artist, curator, or arts professional
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills
– Supervises and oversees the work of the part time gallery assistant
– Must be able to use a computer and audio visual equipment, sit and stand for extended periods of time, and handle exhibit materials
– Uses basic cleaning and photography related materials
The University and Area
UW-Parkside is a regional comprehensive university that is committed to accessibility, academic excellence, student success, diversity, and community engagement. This beautiful campus is on 700 acres of woodland & prairie in the heart of the Milwaukee/Chicago corridor, between Racine and Kenosha and near Lake Michigan. The university enrolls approximately 5,000 students, many of whom are first- generation and nontraditional students. UW-Parkside benefits from the diversity of the communities it services in Kenosha, Racine, and Walworth Counties. Kenosha and Racine are small cities that offer tranquility and convenience. The myriad attractions of Milwaukee and Chicago are easily accessible, as is the solitude of the country. UW-Parkside is strongly committed to creating and maintaining a multicultural, pluralistic campus environment.
The tri-county region that comprises the University’s primary service area is home to an impressive array of businesses. There are more than 10,000 small businesses in the region, as well as a large number of globally-recognized employers. The college, through its active, engaged Advisory Board, enjoys a close relationship with many of these businesses. For further information regarding the University and community, please see our website at www.uwp.edu.
Review of Applications
Applications received by 11:59 PM August 20, 2017, are ensured full consideration. Position is open until filled.
|STEP 1: Please select the applicable link below:
External Applicants: https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu (Candidates NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System) – follow link then continue to STEP 2
Internal Applicants: https://www.hrs.wisconsin.edu (Candidates currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System) – follow link then under “Main Menu” choose:
– “Self Service”
STEP 2: Under “Job Search” choose:
– “More Options”
– Job Opening ID: “13317”
– Select “Gallery Director”
– Click “Apply Now”
– You must login before you can apply. Input your “User Name” and “Password” and select “Login”
– If you have not yet registered, click “Register Now” to begin the registration process
STEP 3: Submit application materials:
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents:
– Cover letter addressing your qualifications for the position
– Names and contact information of three references
– Transcripts (unofficial acceptable at application stage)
You must select “SUBMIT”, selecting “Save” will not forward your application materials to the search committee.
If you have questions about how to apply go to https://kb.wisc.edu/hrs/page.php?id=21544
Salary and Benefits
Commensurate with experience and education. The UW System provides a liberal benefits package, including participation in a state pension plan.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/summaries/fasl.pdf
Total Compensation Estimator: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/totalcomp/
If you have any questions, need accommodations, or submitted your application with missing materials, call or email:
University of Wisconsin Parkside
Office: (262) 595-2331
A criminal background check will be required at the time of hire.
UW-Parkside is an AA/EEO employer. Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of UW-Parkside to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 262-595-2204. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual’s disability.
University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin Parkside Crime Statistics Report is available at https://www.uwp.edu/live/offices/universitypolice/crimestats.cfm. Call the UW-Parkside Campus Police Office at (262) 595-2455 for a paper copy of the annual report.
Categories: Job Postings