About This Role:
The Marianna Kistler Beach Museum of Art is seeking applicants for a Gallery Preparator and Building Systems Lead to support the core mission of the museum by fabricating, installing, and maintaining in-house and traveling art exhibitions, packing and crating loan objects, and ensuring optimal conditions are maintained for the collections in the museum building.
Work with the Exhibition Designer and Museum Technology Lead and other team members to develop wayfinding and exhibition graphics, color schemes, display strategies and furniture, and other design and fabrication aspects of gallery installations. Also, works with Registration/Collections and Curatorial Departments on movement and display requirements for art, which entails running the museum carpentry shop and mounting and framing areas.
- Coordinate with exhibition design team on all gallery preparation and installations.
- Carries out 2D art preparation (matting and framing artwork) and maintains the work area.
- Work closely with curators and collection managers regarding art storage, collection care and packing and shipping needs.
- Manages and executes fabrication, carpentry, painting and finishing work. Maintains shop tools.
- Manage lighting for galleries and main public areas.
- Work with the Exhibition Designer and Museum Technology Lead and other staff on non-exhibition graphics, budgets and product inventory.
Oversee the museum building as a whole (inside and out) by working closely with K-State Facilities, Campus Police, and related vendors. This includes electronic building security systems, fire alarms, climate control, and the general function of all building details and systems. Monitors lighting and HVAC systems to comply with best-practice standards for the safety of art objects and museum visitors. Maintains the museum transport van and takes occasional trips regionally to pick up/drop off artwork. Opens and closes the building as needed and closes on Monday evenings.
- Ensures the maintenance and functionality of internal and perimeter security systems working with museum staff, KSU facilities, Honeywell and outside contractors.
- Monitors HVAC and RO water systems to maintain a constant building temperature and relative humidity by working with museum staff, KSU Facilities, Culligan and Honeywell.
The Gallery Preparator and Building Systems Lead provides additional support and assistance to departments as assigned, including but not limited to art handling, installation, supervision, and coordinating with students or part-time employees. Coordinates meadow maintenance with a representative from the College of Architecture, Planning, and Design and contractors.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off – vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the Principles of Community.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree and three to five years of relevant experience. This position may use an educational equivalency as determined relevant by a hiring manager.
- Knowledge in the use of basic carpentry techniques, hand tools, power tools, basic electrical wiring and lighting, paints and adhesives, and associated safety practices.
- Prior experience in museum/gallery or tradeshow exhibition fabrication.
- Experience monitoring building systems, such as climate control and alarm systems.
- Demonstrated experience with matting and framing artwork, measuring distance, and painting and wall repair.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret design schematics, shop/fabrication drawings, and standard business documents.
- Ability to hang and place the artwork with sensitivity to special relationships.
- Basic understanding of audio-video equipment, with the ability to learn new skills.
- Experience communicating effectively to solve problems.
- Self-starter with a strong customer service ethic.
- Electric scissor lift experience
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, able to analyze situations, responding quickly to deliver effective solutions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to keep and maintain accurate records.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedural guides.
- Prior experience working with a museum is a plus.
- Ability to plan and structure time.
- Knowledge of museum-specific humidity and climate requirements.
- Some knowledge and experience with SketchUp (or similar software), Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe InDesign.
- Experience in 3D printing, 2D plotting/CNC, and silkscreen are preferred.
- Willingness to explore new solutions and learn about new materials.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
- Driver’s license required to operate museum van.
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents through https://careers.k-state.edu/cw/en-us/job/512243/gallery-preparator-and-building-systems-lead
- Cover Letter
- Three professional references with current contact information.
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until position is filled. For best consideration, apply by March 15, 2022.
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $45,000 to 49,000 Annually
Equal Employment Opportunity: Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement: In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Categories: Job Postings