Museum Events Planner
Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) seeks a Museum Events Planner to join the RISD Museum. The RISD Museum acquires, preserves, exhibits, and interprets works of art and design representing diverse cultures from ancient times to the present. Distinguished by its relationship to Rhode Island School of Design, the Museum educates and inspires artists, designers, students, scholars, and the public through exhibitions, programs, and publications.
The Museum Events Planner reports to the Deputy Director, Museum Finance & Operations and is responsible for the planning, organization and coordination of Museum internal events and meetings and serving as an internal liaison with RISD Conference and Events Services (CES) department for external events, and assisting with promotion of the use of Museum spaces in the support of revenue generation for the college. Manages and oversees a wide range of logistics for museum-hosted events of varying complexity. Serves as an internal liaison across RISD departments to facilitate the internal and external coordination of Museum facilities rentals. Recommend and coordinate appropriate Maintenance and Security needs per event. Attend onsite events to provide support and facilitate.
The RISD Museum is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community where members from all backgrounds can learn and create. With the goal of increasing the diversity of the museum profession, we aspire to create a climate that recognizes and values diversity as central to excellence. As an employer, RISD offers a supportive, collegial and inclusive work environment and a competitive benefits package.
- Partner with event hosts to plan, organize and coordinate details for a variety of events, event programs and high-level Museum board, all staff, and large cross-functional meetings.
- Develop event planning timelines to ensure all duties are fulfilled, coordinate interdepartmental responsibilities, and provide for adequate staffing for successful execution of events.
- Partners with outside vendors, including caterers, lighting specialists, video and audio engineers, public safety agencies, regulatory bodies, etc. to secure proposals, estimates, agreements and coordination of services to meet event goals. Maintains positive working relationships with vendors to ensure consistency and continued support.
- Recommend and coordinate appropriate maintenance and security needs per event.
- Establish and manage budgets for Museum events.
- Handle RISD catering requests for all interdepartmental Museum events.
- Hire and manage volunteers and work-study students, to support event logistics as needed.
- Manage Museum community rentals, partnerships and events, in partnership with the host Museum department.
- Work closely with Museum Marketing to maintain and enhance relationships with Corporate renters/sponsors, media partners, and community organizations. Act as a resource to determine the best solution for Museum partners.
- Ensure rental information, event guidelines, and promotional materials are accurate and up-to- date in all available sources.
- Review and approve incoming rental requests for RISD departmental and external events from Campus Conferences and Events Services (CCES) in support of revenue goals. Liaising with Museum staff for CCES events to confirm the space is available, adequate staffing is available, and that there are no conflicts of shared spaces during the events.
- Attend all internal onsite events and external onsite events as needed to provide support, assist with wayfinding, traffic control, and troubleshooting solutions and supervising event volunteers.
- Tracks event attendance. Manages post-event reporting, analysis and debriefs.
- Ensure that museum events are executed in compliance with museum policies and State and municipal laws and regulations.
- Lead the weekly Museum Operations meetings, and other event planning meetings as required.
- Ability to interact positively and effectively in a culturally diverse setting.
- Demonstrated ability to work with significant autonomy and as part of a team.
- Interpersonal, diplomacy, and teamwork skills—ability to interact with a broad variety of people including high-net worth individuals and handle multiple details.
- Proven ability to provide guidance and direction to others.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure with grace. Proficiency in event management and space booking software.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite.
- Flexibility and ability to work outside of normal office hours, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in event planning and management, with preference for experience in an arts and cultural setting.
- Experience with Altru and Live25 software.
- Sales experience preferred.
35 hours per week;12 months per year
Full-time; Exempt; Regular
Documents Needed to Apply
Cover Letter (required).
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please upload all required documents.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our pre-employment background screening requirements.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its learning community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Categories: Job Postings