Department: Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Position Type: Administrator
Posting Removal Date: Open Until Filled
Posting Number: 1001618
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Vassar College is a smoke free/tobacco free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Registrar and Collections Manager, the Preparator is one of four members of the collections and exhibitions management team charged with the functional care of 22,000 works of art and associated intellectual data. The Art Center’s collection spans all media ranging in date from antiquity to contemporary. This position is also responsible for the installation/deinstallation of exhibitions according to professional museum standards and the documentation of all transactions and movement of objects.
- Make all objects (collection and loans) safe and stable when handled/moved, housed, installed or prepared for traveling. The preparator best exemplifies good, front-line stewardship.
- Maintain outdoor sculpture preservation program.
- Provide safe housing for works of art in storage to include mounting, matting and framing, custom boxing.
- Frame design and fabrication; contract with master framers for historic reproductions.
- Prepare works for travel to include crate modification and customized packaging.
- Gallery wall preparation and maintenance as changes are made in galleries.
- Special exhibition needs: simple furniture and shelving manufacturing; specialized matting and framing; specialized mount and jig making.
- Maintain gallery lighting operation.
- Install and deinstall temporary exhibitions and permanent collection gallery changes with assistance as needed.
- Process in-house labels and didactic panels for gallery installations.
- Maintain inventory of materials, supplies and equipment for above purposes.
- Supervision and mentoring of 2+ students per semester.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of five to ten years’ experience in a museum or gallery setting moving both 3-D and 2-D works of art.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Knowledge of art handling best practices and art and artifact collections care in a museum environment.
- Comfortable working on multiple projects at any one time.
- Ability to move, position and place objects up to and including 50 pounds; ability to remain in a stationary position for long periods of time; aptitude for spatial relationships.
- Experience cutting mats and assembling frame packages.
- Basic carpentry skills.
- Good dexterity and aesthetic sensibility.
- Ability to work under pressure and in a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to take direction as well as work independently.
- Ability to work with/mentor part-time work-study students from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to pick up and/or deliver art and supplies locally.
Required Applicant Documents
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for 3 References
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your cover letter, resume, contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. This position will remain open until filled.
All applicants must apply online at: https://apptrkr.com/1445282.
Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Categories: Job Postings