The Kentucky Museum at Western Kentucky University offers one paid 24-month Term Assistant Curator For Folk Art Luce Foundation Fellowship (TAC for Folk Art), which begins in September 2020 or as soon as position is filled. The TAC for Folk Art will direct a Folk Art Digitization Project that will document and digitize the Folk Art Collection. Featuring approximately 750 works from the 1780s to the present, this Collection represents a broad range of Kentucky artistic and craft traditions. The TAC will also supervise the work of the WKU Folk Studies graduate student hired to assist with documentation and digitization efforts. The TAC for Folk Art will also support the work of the Term Assistant Curator for the Quilt Collection hired as part of this grant-funded project. They will also evaluate the Folk Art Collection for its compliance with the Museum’s Collection Plan and make recommendations for possible acquisitions/areas to emphasize.
Knowledge and Skills Considered Essential for Success:
- Experience in a university museum a plus.
- Previous experience using collection management software a plus.
- Knowledge of Photoshop or similar photo editing software a plus.
- Previous supervisory experience a plus.
- Excellent artifact research skills.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills including the ability to manage multiple assignments concurrently.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
Reports to the Kentucky Museum Registrar/Collections Curator.
- Master’s Degree or higher in Museum Studies, Folklore, Art History or related field.
- Experience with museum artifact collections.
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience in American Folk Art.
- Basic photography skills.
- Technical proficiency with personal computers and Microsoft Office suite.
- Must be able to climb ladders and lift up to 20 pounds.
For the complete job description and instructions on how to apply, go to http://wku.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=123809.
Categories: Job Postings